Prevent Mesothelioma with Yoga and Nutrition
This post is in conjunction with friends of mine who works to better educate people on Mesothelioma. More direct information can be found at: www.Asbestos.com
What is Mesothelioma?
Mesothelioma is a type of cancer that affects the mesothelial cells that make up the lining of the lungs, heart a
nd abdomen. The primary cause of mesothelioma is exposure to a naturally occurring mineral known as asbestos. It is often difficult to treat this type of cancer as it has an unusually long latency period. Symptoms can take anywhere from 20 to 50 years to become noticeable. By the time a diagnosis is made, the cancer is typically in advanced stages. The conventional treatments for mesothelioma are not that much different from most other types of cancer. Chemotherapy, surgery and radiation therapy are all commonly used in mesothelioma treatment.
Nutrition and Mesothelioma
According to the National Cancer Institute, about 35 percent of all cancer diagnoses can be linked to poor nutrition. Although malignant mesothelioma is not a type of cancer that can be prevented by healthy eating, improving nutritional intake can improve chances of survival as well as alleviate painful disease symptoms and unwanted treatment side effects.
Here are a few tips:
- Dry grain products like crackers and toast can help calm the upset stomach, reflux and nausea common with cancer treatment.
- Low white blood cell count, which increases the chance of contracting infections is another common effect of cancer treatment. To avoid this side effect, it is most important to avoid bacteria, which is common in foods that are damaged or not prepared well. Avoid buffets when eating out, wash your hands before preparing meals, avoid raw meats and fish (like sushi), and throw away any foods that are bruised or damaged.
- Fruits and vegetables are also vital in fighting cancer. Many berries contain cancer-fighting phytonutrients like ellagic acid and resveratrol . Berries contain a whole host of other important nutrients, including plenty of fiber and vitamin C. In fact, just one cup of strawberries has the same amount of vitamin C as one cup of orange juice, and all berries are great sources of this anti-oxidant and immune-strengthening vitamin. Dark leafy green vegetables like kale and bok choy can also provide a lot of these same benefits.
Yoga and Mesothelioma
In addition to improving nutrition, some mesothelioma patients have found yoga to be particularly helpful in their fight against cancer.
There are a variety of health benefits associated with yoga for the cancer patient:
- Yoga's gentle meditative poses calm the central nervous system, which can help lower blood pressure, reduce stress, improve coordination and flexibility, and improve quality of sleep.
- Mesothelioma patients suffering from fatigue and muscle soreness can also benefit from a gentle yoga practice that can energize and restore the body.
All of these benefits can help strengthen the body, allowing to better fight the cancer. Those suffering from a chronic or acute illness who would like to start a yoga practice as a form of alternative therapy should take the time to discuss the situation with a physician.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized
. Bookmark the permalink