Ok, let’s face it, this is winter. Our minds and bodies have come to accept that warm weather is out and that it’s time to dig out the sweaters and mittens.
To keep our immune systems healthy we 3 things:
- maintain a level of strength and heat within the digestive system to fight the cold
- keep the liver and kidneys stimulated to balance out any holiday party indulgence
- keep our fluids up to stay hydrated against all that dry radiator heat
This one recipe combines traditional Ayurvedic herbs with Tom Yum, a classic Thai recipe. It is low fat, low calorie, low sodium, sugar free and vegan. Each ingredient is as beneficial as it is delicious. It lowers cholesterol, high blood pressure, regulates digestion, improves immune system, reduces inflammation and even has anti-microbial and stress reducing components. Use this as a base and add other vegetables, grains or meats if you wish.
NOT SICK SOUP
(makes 8-10 servings)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 2 limes
- 1 hand fresh ginger
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 large vadalia onion
- 1 jar tomato paste
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 2-3 carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil/coconut oil/ghee
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp each: cumin, fennel, cinnamon, cardamom, clove, black pepper
- sea salt to taste
1) in a large frying pan, cook powdered spices in oil on low flame for 1-2 minutes until they become fragrant. Then add onions and garlic, cooking until they soften.
2) Once onions and garlic are soft, add whole jar of tomato paste, grated ginger (grated approx 1/4 – 1/3 cup), maybe a bit of water and let simmer.
3) In a large spaghetti pot, add vegetable stock and about 3 quarts fresh water. Slice carrots and place on high flame.
4) Once large pot is boiling, add tomato/onion/ginger mix. Clean the lemongrass well, chop off the very base. I like to slice the whole thing into roughly 3″ long strips and then twist, squeeze and massage to release the fragrance and toss into the pot.
5) Let this all come to a boil and then on medium flame with the top ajar until the carrots are cooked or until desired condensed consistency.
6) Once finished, now you wash and chop the cilantro and add the juice of 2 lemons and sea salt to taste.